State Library of South AustraliaState Library of South Australia

Tanderra Girls' Home

Catalogue record

Creator: Photographer not recorded

Place of Creation: Torrensville

Date of creation : ca. 1930

Reproduction rights are owned by State Library of South Australia. This image may be printed or saved for personal research or study. Use for any other purpose requires permission from the State Library of South Australia. To request approval, complete the Permission to publish form.

Format : Photograph

Tanderra Girls' Home was opened by the South Australian Council of the United Aborigines Mission at 4 Stamford Street Parkside in 1952. It was established as accommodation for older Aboriginal girls who had left Colebrook Home. It accommodated up to ten girls. In later years Tanderra moved to these larger premises at 221 Henley Beach Road, Torrensville. The Home closed in 1973.


This building was formerly the St Ives Private Hospital. 


Further reading

Barnes, Nancy, Munyi's daughter: a spirited brumby. Henley Beach, SA: Seaview Press, 2000.

Kartinyeri, Doris, Kick the tin. North Melbourne: Spinifex Press, 2000.

Survival in our own land: 'Aboriginal' experiences in 'South Australia' since 1836 told by Nungas and others ; edited and researched by Christobel Mattingley, co-edited by Ken Hampton. Adelaide: ALDAA in association with Hodder & Stoughton, 1988.

Turner, V.E., Pearls from the deep: the story of Colebrook Home for Aboriginal Children, Quorn, SA: United Aborigines' Mission, 1937.


Colebrook Home - South Australian History

Finding Your Own Way, Section 8, Homes Run by the United Aborigines Mission

State Library of South Australia Factsheet: Aboriginal Missions in South Australia

Search Treasures

Use the keyword search above for a quick search, or use our advanced search.

Current highlight


James S. Pearce, Kapunda Football Club, 1879, B 7437
View the Football in SA exhibitions.

Stay in touch

Subscribe to our e-news and stay in touch with the State Library of South Australia's news and events.




About the wall