SA Government LogoState Library of South Australia logoThe Foundation of South Australia 1800 - 1851
SA Memory. South Australia past and present, for the future




Foundation of South Australia 1800-1851 - Places - 1841 Census - place names

The 1841 census is the only census material to survive in South Australia. All subsequent census return records compiled by State and Federal Governments have been destroyed after the numerical data has been extracted. In 1841 South Australia had been settled for a little under five years and the population was only 15, 485. The original census are in the State Archives (GRG 24/13) and have been indexed. The accompanying list gives the districts in which people were, recorded as residing at the time of the census (January 1841) some Aboriginal populations were recorded. It provides some indication of the settlement at the time.

Place names

City of Adelaide, street by street

 

Albert Town (Alberton?)

 

Bowden

 

Village of Goodwood

 

Hindmarsh

 

Islington

 

Village of Klemzig

 

Little Adelaide

 

Prospect village

 

Kensington village

 

Village of Macgill (Magill)

 

Port Adelaide

 

Thebarton

 

Thebarton

 

Village of Unley

 

Walkerville

 

Three Brothers (area south of Mount Barker)

 

Village of Hahndorf

 

Port Lincoln - Fleurieu

 

Encounter Bay - Fleurieu

 

Inman Valley - Fleurieu

 

Government Farm Tiers (Belair)

 

Gawler Special Survey (Special survey, out-stations, squatters)

 

Gawler Town

 

Port Gawler Special Survey

 

Survey between the Gawler and Port Gawler Special Survey

 

Little para

 

Lyndoch Valley Special Survey

 

Little Para and Out Stations

 

S.A. Company's Sheep Stations

 

Mrs. Peter's Sheep Stations (River Broughton)

 

Mr. Gree's Sheep Stations

 

Mr. Ansteys Servants and Labourers (Highcombe)

 

A District (Adelaide Plains)

 
Village of Payenham 

Glen Osmond

 

B District (Noarlunga area)

 

C District (Willunga area)

 

Section 255

 

Section 256

 

Section 254

 

List of officers and labourers employed on the Survey of the South Australia on the 1st January 1841

 

Names of natives at Port Lincoln known to the Revd. Mr. Schurmann and J.B. Harvey

 

About 50 more "the neighbourhood of Mount Gambier"

 

About 100 at Coffins Bay

 

"many more" about Franklin Harbour

 

Kangaroo Island

 

Botanic Gardens

 

Hospitals

 

Emigration square

 

Coromandel Row

 

Buffalo Row

 

Park Land

 

This page is currently under construction, thank you for your patience.


Navigation

Home

About SA Memory

Explore SA Memory

SA Memory Themes

Search

My SA Memory

Learning

What's on

Contributors